In-depth Knowledge Transfer of Composite Materials from Manufacturing, Remaining Life Assessment to Failure Analysis
Upon completion of the training, participants will be able to:
- List the generalities on composite materials, their advantages and disadvantages
- List the different manufacturing processes, their specificities, advantages and disadvantages
- List the main specific methods for control and characterization of composite materials, physic-chemical tests, mechanical tests, NDT
- List the phenomena of ageing and degradation over time of composites to define Remaining Life Assessment
- Apply the failure analysis methodology for composite parts,
- Interpret the fracture surfaces of composite parts with a scanning electron microscope to determine the stresses that caused the fracture (tension, compression, shear, fatigue, aging…).
Materials and engineering background.
Alternating theory and practice through exercises and case studies using a dedicated software. Please bring along a scientific calculator.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Engineers, manufacturers, operations and maintenance team working in the automotive, construction and manufacturing industries where composite materials form a major part of their operations.
- General information on composite materials, their advantages and disadvantages, description of the main relationships between structure/properties
- Implementation methods, their specificities, advantages and disadvantages, defects encountered
- Specific methods for characterization and controls of composite materials, physic-chemical tests, mechanical tests, NDT
- Phenomena of ageing and degradation over time of composites and characteristics to define Remaining Life Assessment
- Methodology for failure analysis of composite parts
- Composite damage mechanisms, harmfulness of defects, fractography: interpret the fracture surfaces of composite parts with a scanning electron microscope to determine the stresses that caused the fracture: tension, compression, shear, fatigue, ageing….
- Application of all skills (knowledge and know-how) through the trainees’ realization of case studies of composite part failure cases
This course will be carried out by Thomas JOLLIVET.
Engineer at the Centre Technique des Industries Mécaniques: Cetim (France) since 1998, specialized in failure analysis (15 years) and Development of New Manufacturing process (10 years) for composite materials. Service activities in parallel with management of research and development programs.
Technical Assistance & Failure Analysis
• Choice of material according to specifications
• Processes of manufacturing of polymers and composites
• Mechanical and physical-chemical characterization on specimens and structures
• Design and sizing of composite parts
• Non-destructive testing: US, X-rays, tomography….
• Structural repair solution using composite material
• Additive manufacturing of thermoplastics
Management of Research & Development Program
• Effects of defects in composite materials
• Development of high rate manufacturing process for thermoplastic composites: in-line control and variability studies
• Fatigue of thermoplastic composites materials
Expertise in Failure Analysis:
• Expert for BEA (French aeronautical investigation bureau): studies of planes, helicopters and gliders accidents (7 cases 2000-2017)
• Expert witness in a major trial at the international trade court of Paris, failure in 3 LNG ships (2005-2009)
• Expertise in Oil & Gas industry: intervention on a production oil rig (FPSO) in Africa to analyze the failure of composite parts (2009)
Research & Development:
• Leader of a working group on the standardization of composite materials in aeronautics sector (2013-2019)
• Project coordinator of European Clean Sky project: design and high rate manufacturing of composite aircraft window frames (2017-2019)
Transfer of knowledge:
• Author of scientific publications on the damages of composites, fatigue, fractography, manufacturing innovations…
• Speaker at international conferences: JEC (2), Fatigue Design (2), Sampe (1) etc.
• Trainer of a 2-week training course on composite materials for a composite laboratory in Thailand (2019)
To register for the course, please complete this form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Name: Composite Materials
Course Date: 29th to 31st October 2019 (Tue to Thu)
Closing Date: 27 Sep 2019
Venue: 3 Seletar Aerospace Link, Singapore 797550
Time:8.30 am to 5.30 pm each day
Course Fee: SGD 1,800.00 per person (exclude GST)
Early Bird: SGD 1,620.00 per person (exclude GST)! Registration must reach us on or before 6th September 2019 or
Group Discount: SGD 1,620.00 per person (exclude GST) with minimum 3 participants from the same company
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” Or
- Overseas participants are to pay in Singapore Dollar bank draft ONLY. If payment is by TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER, please add S$70.00 for administrative and bank charges.
For further information, please contact Ms. Irene Lim or Ms. Lynn Tan at +6567788285 or email us at email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund:
• Any cancellation made after closing date –no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
• Any cancellation made before closing date –full refund.
• MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary.