Composite Materials – from Manufacturing, RLA to Failure Analysis
In-depth Knowledge Transfer of Composite Materials from Manufacturing, Remaining Life Assessment to Failure Analysis
Upon completion of the training, participants will be able to:
- List the generalities on composite materials, their advantages and disadvantages
- List the main specific methods for control and characterization of composite materials, physic-chemical tests, mechanical tests, NDT
- List the phenomena of ageing and degradation over time of composites to define Remaining Life Assessment
- Apply the failure analysis methodology for composite parts,
- Interpret the fracture surfaces of composite parts with a scanning electron microscope to determine the stresses that caused the fracture (tension, compression, shear, fatigue, aging…).
Materials and engineering background.
Alternating theory and practice through exercises and case studies.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Engineers, manufacturers, operations and maintenance team working in the automotive, construction and manufacturing industries where composite materials form a major part of their operations.
- General information on composite materials, their advantages and disadvantages, description of the main relationships between structure/properties
- Specific methods for characterization and controls of composite materials, physic-chemical tests, mechanical tests, NDT
- Phenomena of ageing and degradation over time of composites and characteristics to define Remaining Life Assessment
- Methodology for failure analysis of composite parts
- Composite damage mechanisms, harmfulness of defects, fractography: interpret the fracture surfaces of composite parts with a scanning electron microscope to determine the stresses that caused the fracture: tension, compression, shear, fatigue, ageing….
- Application of all skills (knowledge and know-how) through the trainees’ realization of case studies of composite part failure cases
This course will be carried out by our expert Ms. Sophie Toillon.
Sophie TOILLON, our renowned expert on “Materials”, provides expertise on polymer and composite components and structures. The areas of expertise are:
• Classification of materials
• Failure analysis, audit, advising
• Searching for repair or redesign solutions
• Management of projects across multiple skill areas
• Training (teaching manager) and presentations on technology days
o Ageing and life expectancy prediction
o Development of classification techniques (remaining constraints, etc.)
• CETIM (20 years): failure analysis project manager, head of R&D studies then Area Expert
• CRITT Materials – LNE East (5 years): manager of classification services, failure analysis, specific formulations, bonding, training
• Education and Training
• Diploma from l’Institut de l’Expertise (Paris)
• Qualified in Engineering at the Ecole d’Application des Hauts Polymères (EAHP) in Strasbourg (1994),
• Post-graduate diploma in Physics Chemistry Polymer Materials (1993)
Areas of Expertise
• Failure analysis of plastic, elastomer and composite parts, methodology, FMEA process
• Damage analysis and identification of failure mechanisms (fractography)
• Understanding of ageing phenomena
• Assistance with redesign or repair of faulty parts or structures
• Surface, adhesion treatments
• Expertise in the aeronautics field with the BEA (Investigation and Analysis Bureau of the French General Directorate for Civil Aviation)
• Expertise in the field of energy: vibratory and aeraulic analysis, determination of modes of damage, reparation and redesign of components (air cooler blades, wind turbine blades)
• Expertise in the boating area (mast, link arm, catamaran and/or trimaran shells (Banque Populaire for example))
• Expertise in the area of sporting materials (carbon composite bicycle forks – legal)
• Know-how sharing
• Organization of a technology day devoted to failure analysis in March 2019, bringing in industrial and university partners
To register for the course, please complete this form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Name: Composite Materials
Course Date: TBA
Closing Date: TBA
Venue: 3 Seletar Aerospace Link, Singapore 797550
Course Fee: TBA
Early Bird: TBA
Group Discount: TBA
- Registration form and course fees are to reach MATCOR before the closing date.
- Registration will only be confirmed upon full payment.
- All cheques should be made payable to “MATCOR Technology & Services Pte Ltd” Or
- Overseas participants are to pay in Singapore Dollar bank draft ONLY. If payment is by TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER, please add S$70.00 for administrative and bank charges.
For further information, please contact Ms. Irene Lim or Ms. Lynn Tan at +6567788285 or email us at email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund:
• Any cancellation made after closing date –no refund, but delegate substitution is allowed.
• Any cancellation made before closing date –full refund.
• MATCOR reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course, only if deemed necessary.